Cycling on the Gold Coast
The Gold Coast is such a beautiful place and what better way to see it than by bike. We look at 10 reasons to cycle on the Gold Coast.
1. Take advantage of where you live – we are lucky enough on Gold Coast to be able to cycle for 15 minutes and be right out of the hustle and bustle, riding on quiet roads without another soul in sight! We’re surrounded by such a variety of landscapes, so get out and see it and enjoy the fresh air!
2. The Darren Smith Memorial Route – this 48km cycle route stretches from Paradise Point to Coolangatta. The route follows the coastline and also heads inland at some stages, giving you a taste of both beach and bush scenery. It’s a great training track for any keen cyclists out there!
3. Cycling by the ocean – spend some quality time with the family, hopping on your bike and pedaling from one beach to the other. With continuous BBQ facilities, water fountains and bike racks, the coastal roads up and down the Gold Coast offer a great way to spend the day.
4. Cycling in the mountains – there are many grueling climbs and thrilling descents to challenge yourself with in the Gold Coast’s hinterland (some ascents of up to 30km!). Don’t forget to reward yourself after a steep ascent with a coffee and a cake – there are dozens of coffee shops on Mt. Tamborine alone, so sit back and enjoy the view.
5. Commuting – for short to medium journeys, especially through the congested areas of the cities, cycling can be quicker than taking the car, and can also allow you to park closer to your work place with bike rack facilities widely available. Over half the population of the Gold Coast live within 10km of their workplace, so do your bit to save the planet and leave the car at home!
6. Cycling Clubs – there are plenty of clubs and organisations on the Gold Coast that offer a great way to meet like-minded cycling enthusiasts with a variety of events and rides. If you’re a mamil (that’s ‘middle aged man in lycra’) then this is the perfect place for you!
7. Freestyle BMX Tracks – there are BMX circuits for available for beginners, intermediates and advanced riders throughout the Gold Coast. But be sure to remember those knee pads and helmets!
8. Mountain Biking – Willow Vale, Pacific Pines, Tamborine, Main Beach, Beechmont, Mudgeeraba, Burleigh Heads, Currumbin – the list of places to mountain bike goes on. ‘Old Tambo’ in Eagle Heights is a route of note for experienced riders looking for a high adrenaline run, and in many locations you can combine cycling with a day of hiking or even horse riding!
9. See the coast with a fresh set of eyes – one beautiful aspect of a bike is that it allows you to go to places that cars cannot. Rather than looking through the window of a car or an office, get on a bike and explore new places around the coast; go the opposite way to normal out of your road, cycle along the banks of the canals and through the neighbouring parks; a bike gives you freedom!
10. Cycle Tracks – Cycling not only improves your brain functioning making you more healthy, but it also boosts your happiness and decreases stress and anxiety. The Gold Coast has more than 1,000km of bikeways linking neighbourhoods, schools, parks and major transit routes, making cycling easier than ever!
What are you waiting for? It’s time to get out on your bike and explore!